Sunday, July 3, 2011

3 Women: Mother, Wife & "Upcycling Role Model"

It is important to me to recognize three people who have influenced me with my MadrasMark plastic bag upcycling project.
Photo:  Mom gets a quick kiss from MadrasMark.

MOTHER -- Born Helen Marie Ehlen during the Depression and raised in historic Aurora, Oregon, my Mother is my most important role model.   Her parents and grandmother taught her to not waste resources.   In addition to learning how to garden, sew and can food, my Mom learned the importance of reducing, reusing, and recycling.  This summer my Mom & Dad are gardening, recycling, and having fun in Washington County.    My Mom’s favorite MadrasMark upcylced plastic bag is the “Goat Tote”.

   Photo:  Tracy with the birdseed tote bag with friend Lexie Gibbons.

WIFE -- Born Tracy Lee Morris, my “Wife Rocks.”  A retired Forensic Pathologist, she has been sewing and quilting since the 70’s.   Lately, Tracy has been sewing for her 5-year-old niece and making silent auction donation items for our local American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life fundraiser.   She bought my $85 Singer sewing machine “on sale” the day after Thanksgiving, and she took me on her American Sewing Guild field trip in March to the ‘Sarabella Upcylced’ store in Bend.   Since then she has been helping me with my sewing projects, providing advice & logistical support.  I love my wife.  My wife’s favorite MadrasMark upcycled plastic bag is the Atta Cat “5-cat” tote bag.

UPCYCLING ROLE MODEL  -- Sara Wiener began designing and selling her high-tech Polarfleece outdoor and active wear products in the early 1990s. Recently she has shifted her focus to the design, manufacture, and sales of upcycled vinyl and plastic bags and other consumer goods.   Sara is a leader in taking discarded plastic and vinyl trash and turning it into new materials of higher environmental value.   During the ASG March field trip to the ‘Sarabella Upcycled’ store in Bend, Oregon I was inspired by Sara’s commitment to being eco-friendly by upcycling discarded plastics.  She is an environmentally, proactive community leader and role model.   I salute Sara Wiener, her chief sewist Karlin, and the Sarabella Upcycled philosophy & business model.   E-visit Sara at http://sarabella.com/index.html and if you are in Bend, Oregon visit her store in the NW Crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment